The Black Bear Diner opened a few weeks ago in the Great Falls Marketplace. We visited on Thursday afternoon when it wasn’t super-busy. First impressions:
* Love the decor! Bears everywhere – log bears outside, bear murals, and even bear hats and shirts for sale inside.
* Service was prompt. Our first server appeared…um…rather bored, but apparently her shift ended mid-visit, and a wonderful young lady named Nicki took over, and her attitude was wonderful.
* The menu is presented as a newspaper, of sorts – actual news from 1961 on the front and back (national and Great Falls), and on the inside is a menu with LOTS OF CHOICES.
* Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are all served from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., every day of the year.
* Portions are quite generous!
* My double-cheeseburger was very good! The french fries, however, were generic and lacked flavor.
* Pecan-coated trout was a fail – the fish part was fine, but the pecan coating was flat-out bad – the word “rancid” came to mind.
* Nicki swapped the trout for a turkey-bacon sandwich, which was good.
* The mashed potatoes were AMAZING.
* The dessert case featured several types of cream pies and cobbler – we took a few home, and they are delish.
* OVERALL: Despite the fish fail, I really enjoyed the atmosphere, food, and service. Can’t wait to try it again!
The building was originally the Macaroni Grill, which opened in 2008; it became the Moonshine Grill (AKA Shoot The Moon) in late 2012. The Moonshine Grill closed in late 2015.