OK, maybe I’m being a bit too optimistic, but it sure looks like we’re about to get our first real snow of the season!
Good timing: our first major snowfalls in 2005 and 2006 both occurred in late November, too.
UPDATE, 3:37 pm: Hail is now falling…very tiny, sorta cute!
UPDATE, 7:15 pm: The snow is falling! Not a lot, but we’ve got SNOW in Great Falls! And the forecast is now calling for 70% chance of it to continue tonight and into tomorrow, with a “Snow Advisory” posted!
I learned pretty quickly upon arriving in Montana in 2002 that there are few rivalries as intense – or good-natured – as that of the Cats/Griz (aka the “Brawl of the Wild“). And with today’s big game, I began to wonder: in Great Falls, which team has more support? Me, I’m a Cats fan, for several reasons:
1. Bozeman is cooler than Missoula.
2. The MSU website is cooler than UM’s.
3. We have an MSU campus here in Great Falls.
4. Bobcats are cuter than grizzly bears.
5. My girlfriend is an MSU alum.
Now, since I hate sports and don’t really care about the game itself, my vote probably doesn’t count for much. But I know that plenty of you will be cheering for your team today, which makes me wonder: which team has more fans here in Great Falls?
(see current poll results)
UPDATE: Griz win with a score of 41-20. Better luck next year, Cats!
Did you know that there is a Lego Club in Great Falls? Can’t remember where I saw this sign, but I hope that it isn’t old and that the Lego Club is still around. According to this flyer, the club meets the 1st and 3rd Friday of every month at 3:30 pm in the basement of the Westside Baptist Church. Call 455-6412 for more information.
By the way, did you know that there Lego Professionals?
Yesterday the Tribune published the final tallies for last week’s municipal election, but they published incorrect figures. Once the Trib acknowledged the mistake, I commented that they should publish the correction on the front page of today’s paper. Apparently, this flies in the face of convention, because corrections are almost always printed on page 2 of any newspaper. But given the nature of this correction – correct totals for a contentious election – I figured that a front-page correction was warranted; people often cite newspapers as the final authority on topics such as this. And today – Thursday – I am happy to report that the Tribune did indeed publish a front-page correction. Good job.
click for full-size image
The Great Falls blogosphere has been positively abuzz the last several weeks, thanks primarily to the municipal election. Lots and lots of discussion about civility, which I will summarize in a later post. But there’s other stuff going on, too!
– Let’s start with a new Great Falls blogger, Rob, who discusses the soon-to-be-opened new restaurants here in town. Welcome to our online community, Rob!
– Susan has a lengthy post over at the Overfield Kennel blog about the $5,000 donation by the City to the animal shelter.
– AJ Tooley comments – snarkily and correctly – on an article about the likelihood of a Yellowstone eruption. (is “snarkily” a word?)
– GeeGuy posts a link to an online “Presidential Preference” quiz (which I took and blogged about over at my other place).
– The Yard Whisperer is selling his car – looks like a pretty good deal.
– The Great Falls Public Library lists the Ten Scariest Characters in Literature, and wants to know who YOU think it is.
That’s just a sample – you can check out the entire roster of Great Falls Bloggers right here. And if you’re not a blogger but would like to be, I can help – just holler (david AT greaterfalls.com or leave a comment here)!
Wow! Sure was windy yesterday – trucks blown over, fires whipped up, power outages. Raise your hand if you don’t like the wind. Uh huh…just as I thought – most of you did indeed raise your hand. Me, I usually like the wind – it just seems to make the world seem more “alive” and exciting. Now, how many of you know that Great Falls is one of the windiest towns in America? It’s true – but it’s hard to figure out if we are ranked #2, #4, #7, or possibly even #1. Definitely in the Top Ten!