Had to visit Malmstrom today to get a new ID card, and noticed that the digital fingerprint scanner thingie has a really interesting name: HAMSTER IV.
Seriously. HAMSTER IV. I suppose it’s called a HAMSTER because…um…the word MOUSE is already taken in computer jargon?
Despite the cute name, this non-fuzzy critter boasts some impressive specs:
– FBI Certified “PIV Single Finger Capture Device”
– GSA APL listed and FIPS 201 / PIV compliant
– STQC Biometric Device Certification for UID Applications
– High-performance, maintenance-free optical fingerprint sensor
– Sensor resistant to scratches, impact, vibration and electrostatic shock
– Auto-On™ (Automatic Finger Placement Detection)*
– Smart Capture™ (Self-Adjusting Fingerprint Brightness)
Don’t you just want to add some whiskers and maybe a golden (or black and white!) coat to this thing?